BRUSHWOOD CENTER AT RYERSON WOODS
Located among pristine woodlands in the Ryerson historic home in Riverwoods, Il., Brushwood Center at Ryerson Woods promotes the importance of nature for nurturing personal and community wellbeing, cultivating creativity, and inspiring learning.
Since 1984 Brushwood Center has been a nexus between communities, nature, and the arts. With a focus on youth, families, Veterans, seniors, artists, and local residents, our programs lift up the strengths, assets, and hopes of communities to achieve greater environmental, racial, and economic justice. We work with more than 50 partners and 250 artists annually to offer programs centered on physical and emotional health, artistic and musical creativity, and community and personal wellbeing.
Address: 21850 N Riverwoods Rd, Riverwoods, IL 60015
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will bring solid experience in raising funds for an organization with a growing annual fundraising program. The Director of Development will increase engagement of all constituents—donors, foundation and corporate funders, volunteers, program participants and all those who want to learn more about the mission and work of Brushwood Center.
Responsibilities include the following:
1. Manage all aspects of the annual fundraising program, including fundraising strategy and timeline, budgeting and reporting, prospect tracking, stewardship and donor recognition.
2. Apply Brushwood Center’s commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion to all aspects of the fundraising program.
3. Implement the annual fundraising strategy, including annual appeals, digital/social media campaigns, special event sponsorship, foundation and corporate relations and, in coordination with other staff, all other special event support.
4. Write fundraising solicitation materials, including corporate and foundation proposals and annual fund appeals, as well as stewardship reports, as required.
5. Maintain a portfolio of 45 to 60 mid-level annual donors and prospects; actively cultivate and solicit these donors for increasing annual support.
6. Help plan and implement one-on-one, small group and larger cultivation and stewardship events. Where appropriate, engage other senior staff and Board members in cultivation and solicitation activities.
7. Assist in providing staff support to the Development and Marketing Committee, including
helping train, manage and motivate Board members to assist with in-person fundraising activity,
8. Working with the Executive Director and consultants, coordinate ongoing fundraising activity
with the capital campaign.
9. In conjunction with other staff, coordinate development strategies and tactics with
communications strategies to enhance public awareness and understanding of the
organization’s mission, vision, goals and services
10. Manage the prospect/donor database and ensure that the software appropriately supports all
11. Develop regular reports on fundraising results; utilize analytics to drive fundraising strategy that
drives increasing revenue.
12. Help develop and implement fundraising policies, including gift acceptance and counting, donor
13. Serve as an articulate, enthusiastic and visible spokesperson for the organization.
We are seeking a dynamic, entrepreneurial professional leader with at least five years’ experience in
highly productive development programs. The superior candidate will have experience soliciting and
stewarding significant gifts. This individual will be creative, energetic, and aggressive with an ability to
identify and develop opportunities for donors to engage with the organization’s programs.
Bachelor’s Degree and five or more years of quantifiable success in development.
Experience creating and managing a revenue budget and department budget.
Experience with growing annual fundraising and donor acquisition required. Experience with capital
campaigns an advantage.
Strong writing skills with experience writing grant proposals and reports to funders.
Career track record that shows stability with an organization and a demonstrated ability to develop,
nurture and build relationships culminating in increasing ongoing support.
Strategic in thinking and orientation, ability to deal with emergent issues, multiple projects, and
Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as to work collaboratively with other
organization staff to fund the work of a growing small non-profit organization.
Proven expertise in taking initiative, building and maintaining strong rapport and positive
relationships with Board members, communities of diverse individuals, and members of the
philanthropic and business communities.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to serve as a key spokesperson for
the organization. Fluency in Spanish is preferred, although not required.
Demonstrated ability to set and achieve or exceed goals and meet deadlines.
Enthusiasm, drive, motivational ability, and willingness to take calculated risks.
Ability to commute to Brushwood Center and other meeting locations in the Chicago region.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Brushwood Center is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to
diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based
on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information,
pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by the law.
As an organization, Brushwood Center is committed to equity work as an ongoing journey. We celebrate
diversity and are committed to co-creating an inclusive work environment with our talented team.
HOURS/DURATION: Full-time, Permanent
FLEXIBLE SCHEDULE AND LOCATION: Enjoy working in the beautiful 565-acre Ryerson Woods as well as
the comfort of your own home through a flexible, hybrid schedule.
BENEFITS: Brushwood Center’s benefits package includes health insurance, retirement plan, paid time
off, paid parental leave, and flexible scheduling.
COMPENSATION: $60,000-$80,000 per year
APPLY BY DECEMBER 3, 2021: Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three
references to [email protected]
Click on the links below and follow us