For More Information Contact:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
North Suburban to Host “Healthy Kids Day”
5K Run/Walk on April 24th
Race can be completed virtually or in-person.
Northbrook, IL - The North Suburban YMCA is hosting its 4th annual Healthy Kids Day on Saturday, April 24 from 8am – 10am. As part of the YMCA’s annual event, participants can choose an in-person USATF Certified 5K route that starts at the Y with staggered start times, or sign up to compete in a virtual 5K that may be completed on any course by April 24.
“After this long winter, we’re encouraging all families to stay active and join in our Healthy Kids Day 5K. We’ve seen the impact that the pandemic has had on our community and we feel that now more than ever, our mission is to provide healthy and fun resources for our community’s physical and emotional well-being,” said the North Suburban YMCA’s CEO Kathy Fielding.
The 5K race winners will be announced on Facebook the day of the race, and all race results (virtual & in-person) will be provided on nsymca.org by Sunday, April 25. Prizes will be given to the live overall adult male, female, and youth winners. The race will be professionally timed by J3 Timing and all race results posted on the Y’s website.
During the 5K, the NSYMCA will continue to take ongoing COVID-19 safety precautions for adults and children including:
Entry fees start at $10 for virtual participation, and go up to $50 for a family of four for the in-person run. All proceeds from the 5K event will go towards the “Fortify Our Y” campaign which helps the Y plan and prepare the community for the future. All 5K participants must be registered by April 10 to receive a free t-shirt. For more information and to register, visit nsymca.org/HKD.
Main event sponsors include Illinois Bone & Joint Institute, Northwestern Medicine, Waterway Carwash, and Wintrust Banks and additional sponsorship support includes BankFinancial, Culver’s Northbrook, GoGo Squeeze, Gilbert Orthodontics, My Personal Bookkeeper, and Team Trux - @properties.
About the North Suburban YMCA
- Two races will be held at 8 am and 9am. Each race will have a maximum of 75 runners/walkers with staggered start times based on a participant’s race pace.
- Participants will be assigned a corral (start time) based on their stated race pace. Each corral will have a minimum of 10 participants. Participants will be socially distanced at the start line.
- Temperature checks and verbal health screenings will be done on all participants and staff prior to event. Hand sanitizer and hand washing station will also be available.
- Face masks must be worn before and after race. Masks are NOT required while running/walking and can be removed. Masks will be worn by all staff/volunteers for the duration of the event. Disposable masks will be provided to all runners who do not have one.
- Water stations will not be permitted on the race route, and water will only be provided at the end of race. Participants that need water during the race are asked to bring a pre-filled water bottle.
- Vendor tables will not be permitted, and all vendor items will be placed in goodie bags.
- All race participants must leave at the completion of the race. In-person winners will be announced via Facebook the day of the race and all race results (virtual & in-person) will be provided on nsymca.org by Sunday, April 25.
The North Suburban YMCA services Northbrook and 14 surrounding communities with programs and tools that help its residents become healthier, more connected, and confident, ensuring that everyone, regardless of age, income, or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive. The NSYMCA focuses on Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility and is a charitable organization, inclusive and welcoming to all in our community. Learn more at NSYMCA.org.